Tuesday, May 26, 2009

An Awesome Sunset

I decided this time to give a sunset a try. Of course, I live on the East Coast, so sunsets over water aren't exactly an option. Except that I also happen to live at the beach.

I went out to Wrightsville Beach, which is on an island just outside Wilmington, North Carolina. So, I walked along the backside of the island and was able to capture this photo as the sun set over the sound between the mainland and the island.

This photo has been slightly altered using iPhoto to boost color. The original was not bad, just flat. I believe the flat image is a result of fast exposure time. I used a 50mm lens to capture this photo, but because the sun was so bright I dropped the exposure time to just 1/125. I think this is too quick of an exposure for capturing good color.

This is one of my favorite pictures of all time. When I took the photo, I didn't know I was creating a silhouette image. I used a 50mm lens, a 1/250 exposure, and a small aperture of just f/16. The quick exposure and small aperture combined to take a great picture of the bright sun but a dark image of the foreground.

The next image is also one of my favorites. I took all the images with 100ASA film so the grain would be very tight. The main reason for this is that I could get enlargements made. I have an 8"x10" enlargement of the last two images framed and hanging on my wall. The slower film speed means enlargements look better.

This image was actually the first I took as soon as I got out to the beach that day. I went with a friend of mine because we wanted to watch a perfect sunset together. Almost as soon as we got the water's edge Holly spotted this sailboat cruising the water. Although I have learned all about patience I have also learned there are times to be very quick with whatever you are trying. I quickly pulled out my camera, switched to the 135mm lens, tried to set exposure and focus just in time to get this single photo snapped off. I think it turned out pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment